The Basics of Renter’s Insurance

Landlords in Pennsylvania typicaly require renter’s insurance. And even if that wasn’t the case, it still will be beneficial to tenants to obtain it because the unpredictable can occur. Renter’s insurance in the state of Pennsylvania protects your items from typical perils, such as vandalism, theft, and fire. 

Three Types of Renter’s Insurance Coverage

There are three types of renter’s insurance: Personal property, liability, and additional living expenses. The following includes more details about these types of insurance coverage:

Personal Property

This coverage may cover the cost to replace or repair your belongings, like clothing, electronics, and furniture for up to a limit. This coverage does not usually cover personal property loss beyond the limit of your coverage.


This coverage may cover repairs to damages you may accidentally cause to another person’s property or medical bills for someone you may have caused an injury to. However, this coverage also has its limitation in coverage.

Additional Living Expenses

This typically covers additional costs you may incur, such as hotel bills if your residence is damaged and uninhabitable. However, it typically does not cover damage to the building structure you are renting from. 

Each state has its own set of rules when it comes to renter’s insurance. For instance, in the state of Pennsylvania, there is a thing where you can list your landlord as an
"additional interest" to your policy. Doing this may or may not help you, depending on your situation.

With the different rules and regulations about renter’s insurance, it is imperative to work with highly-trained, dependable, and proven insurance agents to lead you in the right direction. Griffith Insurance LLP is the way to go. Griffith Insurance LLP has been providing services for West Chester, PA, and surrounding areas for several years now. We are more than happy to assist you.